Pages

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Daehanmingook, Saranghae

Ahnyung Unnies and Oppas and Dongsangs all around! Or hi.
I just came back from a trip to Korea, and I absolutely fell in love with the motherland all over again. I honestly am going to save up all the money I earn just to go back next year haha! Not only was hanging out and being lazy with my cousins and family fun, but my mom, sister, and I were able to explore many parts of Korea rather than staying in Seoul the entire time. I'm going to split this trip up according to transportation types because I literally rode all kinds. 

Airplane:
Of course we had to ride a plane to Korea, six hours from Myanmar to Korea to be exact. Korean Air is the business, I slept pretty much the whole time! When we landed in Korea I was literally hit with a wall of humidity, but it felt like heaven compared to Myanmar's heat/rain/humidity. After 4 flights within three weeks, I think I've had enough. 

Taxi:
Unlike California, taxis are everywhere. Starting at 3000 won, approx. 3 dollars, it's cheap and taxi drivers are seriously the best drivers I have ever seen. The streets in Korea are mean, and I thought I was going to get hit more than once while walking around, but the drivers swerve in and out without a sweat. Super convenient when coming to and from the subway station, as well as, to and from our hotel room to the bus station when we were on our trip. Of course cars are always nice to have, but with my uncles working and my aunts having their own schedules to attend to, cars weren't always available.

Bus:
We traveled to the southernmost edge of Korea, as well as, the second largest city, after Seoul, Busan by bus. It takes about 4 hours from Seoul, northern Korea, to Tongyeong, the southernmost part of Korea, and about 2 hours from Tongyeong to Busan. I loved hearing the different dialects of the Korean language, and the different markets and shopping centers, of course. After staying in Seoul the other times I've been to Korea, I never realized just how scenic and green Korea is. It is absolutely beautiful with so much oxygen it hurts. Though Tongyeong is the countryside with many little markets and stores with kimbap, what they're famous for, Busan is more like Seoul with department stores and streets filled with shopping, as well as, the famous fish market. Where else can you get a basket of clams, octopus, squid, shrimp, and fish for five dollars? A steal! Also, the bingsoo in Busan was some of the best I've had in Korea :)

Cable Car:
Tongyeong is known for their cable car system which moves up and down the mountain revealing trees upon trees and the seaside. The view was refreshing!

Boat:
We rode a boat off the tip of Korea to one of the smaller islands where people go to hike and view the scenery. We actually weren't wearing the right attire and were pretty much stuck doing nothing for two hours, but the boat ride was really exciting and being so close to other islands was a really cool experience. I normally don't like boats, but the hour trip there and back wasn't bad at all!

Train:
Coming back from our trip back to Seoul, we took the bullet train which gets to Northern Korea in half that time as it would on the bus. Also, because Korea is known to have one of the best Wifi systems in the world, I was able to sift through the surprisingly fast internet while enjoying the scenery outside. 

Subway:
Subway is one of the most important modes of transportation in the city areas of Korea. Not only did we use it in Seoul, but we also used it in Busan since they are more urbanized. We took it to the amusement park, Lotte World, where we met up with the girls on the Myanmar team, to the South Gate where there is a major flee market, to one of Korea's palaces, and many more places (mostly shopping and eating and shopping again). People watching is the best on the subway, so many different types of people. Students in uniforms, grandmas in flower patterned pants, parents with the cutest babies, young people all on their phones watching their shows with the antennas sticking up. Rush hour though don't even think about getting a seat, and it's so smelly I wanted to cry. My mom even told me there are push men whose jobs are to push people into the subway haha! 

Foot:
I have never walked more in one day than I have while in Korea. All the flee markets, fish markets, scenic views, local markets, eateries, shops, church, everywhere is walking, walking, walking. I love that everything is so accessible and it makes you feel like you worked for your food, which is amazing might I add. I think walking with your friends up and down the street is what brings people together. Linked arms and busy talking is all up and down the city. Seriously everywhere you go! That's something I'll miss and wished there was more of in the states. So much fun is literally a footstep away! Friends are all just a couple streets over and restaurants are everywhere you turn to look. Ugh take me back faster, faster! I knew there was a reason I used to want to trade my US citizenship for a Korean one lol! Not only that, but I LOVE my cousins, uncles, aunts, and my grandma! Though I missed my poor father who had to teach summer school, I loved being able to spend time with them (: <3

Missing my Motherland,
S.Park


In front of the Korean Palace


Only some of the bingsoos we had in Korea! (:


Cousins and grandma... thank you for letting me bother you and wake you up while you were sleeping 


In front of SM Entertainment. Crazy fan girls waiting for celebrities to make appearances


Watching my cousin and uncle play soccer. They got 5 out of the 6 goals!!


Some authentic KBarbie


Busan, South Korea


Cable Car w/ Mama Park


Seoul National Cemetery where my Grandfather is buried


Reunion w/ my Myanmar Girls


No comments:

Post a Comment