Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

SLO It Down...

College. During the summer I was aching with anticipation. I fantasized about moving in and realizing that the girl across the hall was my soul mate best friend forever and ever. Needless to say it didn't work out that way. Week one: WOW. According to the school, WOW, Week of Welcome, is supposed to be the greatest week of freshmen year, full of exciting activities and friendships that will last a lifetime. Instead, it was easily the loneliest week of my life. I felt as though my chances of being accepted by the girls in my hall were out the window when I decided not to go out in a LBD and party. It is so hard to connect to girls that I have virtually nothing in common with. However, through this struggle, I realized that God put me in this dorm for a reason. We are to be the salt and light of the world. How am I going to do that in the bubble I have created for myself? Obviously, this is not an easy task. I have grown to be so comfortable in my Christian circle back home, but God didn't call us to mingle within ourselves. Little steps first. I learned that by just reaching out to the girls in little ways, such as, asking "how are you?" can eventually shed a positive light on Christianity. Starting college was an overwhelming slap in the face, but calm down and make most of the situation handed to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment